We spent a lot of time over Christmas getting our new hand tool workshop ready for filming and so it’s probably time for us to bring you up to speed. The most obvious progression since our last post on this is that we’ve changed building!
Getting to know the property over the last month made us realise that our largest barn isn’t in anywhere near as bad a state as we first thought and unlike the smaller stable it’s already fitted out with electric. Realising this was particularly fortunate considering that our initial plans to use the stable were becoming hindered.
A quick scout around the stable showed us a few obvious concerns but nothing that a couple of hours here and there couldn’t put right. We’d just block up the window and repair the areas of brickwork knowing that it would all be having a full overhaul in the not too distant future anyway.
It was the floor though which was causing the problems as it was horrifically out of level. This seemed to be done by design and was significantly raised at the sides and funnelled down towards the centre, and then down again towards a gap in the wall. It formed one oversized urinal and though it sounds grim it was the wobbly bench that was our main concern. At first we thought we could level a new floor over the top and be done with it for now but it was just too far out. Bringing it up to level would have meant our heads would be up in the roof and it was also a big job for something temporary.
The only practical way was down and so we both rolled up our sleeves and started shifting the concrete. As we broke through the concrete and removed the hardcore we found what we had expected underneath – a lovely brick floor. This had to come out too to allow us space for insulation so we continued down and underneath we found cobblestones …
It was during all this clearing that the larger barn came in to play and it was quite a relief to change plans since we would prefer to take a bit of time out and mull over all future uses and services before pouring in a permanent new floor. Not having to take electric to the stable right away is another big plus as the job would require around 100m of armoured cable underground and without knowing the full picture of our final plans just yet we’ve been reluctant to commit to it’s positioning.
The old floor’s all been cleared and is ready whenever we are but the filming is now being started over in the larger barn – all of the photos here are from the stable but I’ll bring you some more of the barn shortly along with a video of it being prepared.
I’ve just had Richard on the phone moaning that his kettle’s died so I must dash before things become serious!